Thursday, March 09, 2006

I made a Vogue pattern





WoW! I'm so impressed with myself. So a confession about me, I loathe patterns, especially tissue patterns. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. I generally make up my own patterns. But dd needed a "chinese" costume. This is international week at school and Friday is the big day for first graders to present their projects complete with a costume and food, if they want. And it's perfect timing to show off a gorgeous mommy made outfit, lol! Her outfit is done with asian fabrics covered in cherry blossoms - which symbolize feminine beauty. I was trying to find a print with dragons, I read dragons are popular on chlidren's clothing in Asian cultures to ward off evil spirits, but I think dd likes the cherry blossoms symbolizing beauty better than the dragon thing, lol. I'm going to have her bring spring rolls for her food - they're eaten during chinese new year to symbolize "wealth" because their shape is like a gold bar. Man, I'm starving for spring rolls now, lol.

So I picked up this Vogue pattern and decided to do View A - the pants and top version. Truth be told, I was kinda scared of it, lol. I have this secret feeling that I'm not a "real" seamstress and Vogue patterns must be for people who know what they're doing. But I really don't know why I think that way, I've been sewing since I was 12 and I've been designing my own things for the past 5-6 years. I am dying to go to fashion design school, I think when and if I'm able to get my degree in fashion design, then I'll feel like a "real" seamstress, lol.

She eventually loved it. She wore it all day to school for the end of "international week" at school.

No comments: