Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mini Hat Crochet Pattern

As I said before, I crochet faster than knitting, so I decided to crochet my advent calendar. This is the hat pattern I created for my mini hats for the hat and mitten advent calendar. Also, I have created my own version of crochet ribbing. I had posted a link earlier to a tutorial on crochet ribbing, but I just wanted to point out my ribbing is a little different. I love crochet ribbing, a couple years ago I had no idea you could rib with crochet stitches, I thought that was a knitting thing only, and I was so excited to crochet wool Longies for my son when he was in cloth diapers and discover a technique for ribbing at the waist and legs.

I haven't written very many crochet patterns, so I put abbreviations further down in after the pattern. If something doesn't make sense, let me know.


The pen in the picture is to show size of the hat.

Mini Hats:

Sport weight yarn
B-E size crochet hook

Hat Ribbing:
Color #1:
Row #1 - ch 5, skip 1st ch, then sc in 4 chs, ch 1 and turn
Row #2-#14 - sk ch, then sc in back loop only 4 st, ch 1 and turn
Row #15 - sk ch, then sc in back loop only 4 st
- line up Row #1 and Row #15 and sl st together to form a ring.

Hat Body:
Color #2
Row #1 - Take hat band and sc all the way around, then sl st
Row #2 - dc and inc every stitch to double the stitches, then sl st
Ro2 #3-#5 - dc, every 3rd st dec, sl st

Pom pom - here is a great tutorial on making a pom pom using your fingers. This is the way I make them, but she says wrap the yarn 75 times; however, for these little ones, I only wrap the yarn about 40-50 times.

Sew pompom on with needle and thread.

ABBREVIATIONS:
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
sk - skip
sl st - slip stitch
dc - double crochet
st - stich
inc - increase
dec - decrease

I will be turning this into one of my downloadable tutorials in a few days.

P.S. This is NOT my big surprise tutorial. And to give you a hint on that one - it will be sewing something for baby. Now I'm off to go write that one up.

No comments: