Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chicken & Stuffing Casserole

Oh my goodness, I made the BEST dinner tonight. It was Chicken and Stuffing Casserole.  I remember my mom giving me a recipe for turkey and dressing casserole, but I couldn't find it.  I had some leftover cubed chicken breasts and a box of Great Value chicken stuffing, so I went looking for a recipe.  I found a few and then sort of made my own with them.  This made a 13 x 9 casserole dish sized, and it was completely devoured by all of us.  Even the toddler loved it.  It melts deliciously in your mouth -- so good!  Serves 4-5. 

2-3 lbs of cubed chicken
1 box of chicken stuffing
About 6-7 biscuits - shredded
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of evaporated milk
2 cups of chicken broth
3-4 tbs butter
Shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Poach chicken by adding chicken to sauce pan or skillet and adding just enough chicken broth to cover it.  Let it come to a bubble, but not a rolling boil, just bubbling a bit.  Cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked.  Poor into bottom of casserole dish. 

Next, I had leftover biscuits I made a few days ago for breakfast.  I shredded them and then combined them with the stuffing.  I layered this on top of the chicken. **I don't see why you can't just use 2 stuffing boxes or substitute a can of biscuits instead of homemade ones or even a pan of cornbread. 

Then I poured the rest of the chicken broth, cream of chicken, and cream of celery soups together in the same sauce pan I had cooked the chicken in.  I heated them up and then added the evaporated milk.  Then I melted 1 tbs of butter while stirring to prevent burning.   

I cut up 2-3 tbs of butter and put them along the top of the stuffing in the casserole dish.  Then I poured the soup/milk mixture over the entire thing.  I then mixed it up a bit to make sure the soup/milk mixture got all the way down to the bottom. 

Finally, I topped it off with about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar.  (If you like swiss, it goes well with this too, but we don't like it.)

Cook for 40 minutes uncovered.  Then let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.   

This recipe is to die for!  My husband took one bite and could not quit raving about it, so did my son.  They devoured nearly the entire pan themselves. 

No comments: