Saturday, August 11, 2012

Review: Witches of East End


Witches of East End
Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I'm not really a series book kinda girl. If something is labeled as a series, I tend to avoid them. I got way sucked into the Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta thing when I was a teenager, and since then, I just want everything wrapped up in one book, thank you very much.

However, this book is apparently the beginnings of a new series by Melissa de la Cruz. If you've taken a look at the books I read, you'd figure out really quick that I tend to like witchy kinda stuff. So, when I was perusing the new bookshelf in the library and saw this one, I decided to give it a try. It wasn't until I got to the end that I realized it was a new series.

This is the story about the Beauchamp sisters who live in a little ol' place on Long Island known as North Hampton. For reasons unknown until you get well into the book, the two sisters and their mother are barred from using their magic. However, they get bored with being immortal and after so long without magic they start to do a tiny bit here and there to help their neighbors. Then, bad weird things begin happening in the town that give it a bit of mystery for them to figure out. There are some good twists in the book you never see coming.

It's somewhat formulaic and probably close to "chick lit," but it was rather enjoyable. I quickly was hooked, and there is definitely some mysteries that make it a page turner. And now that I know it's a series, I'm actually looking forward to the next book.

I discovered the author has another series called Blue Bloods about vampires, which I think has some tiny bits of crossover from this book. I really like her writing style and plan to check out that series as well.





View all my reviews

No comments: