Sunday, February 01, 2009

I have a date...tonight

This one feels like it's going to be special...it's a sort of first date...meet for coffee kinda thing. We both have kids so scheduling is rather...hmmm what's the word I'm thinking...complicated? I don't want to put a negative word, cuz we both understand that kids come first and we have to work around...hmm...is convoluted a negative word? I don't know, lol....maybe a bit of a challenge is a good way to put it. Well suffice to say, I'm excited for this one. Usually I'm nervous. But this one feels different, he intrigues me on so many levels I can't wait to see how it turns out.

On another completely different note....my daughter has discovered reading. Finally! I thought she would never love books....but she has discovered a series of books she's inhaling...Diary of a Wimpy Kid? I'm thrilled for her. I wanted her to love books like I do, but I was starting to have my doubts. Now I'm thrilled for her.

So on another note...I have some book reviews...believe or not amongst the dates from hell, I actually read books. So here goes....

This one is The Condition by Jennifer Haigh...I wrote of another of her books called Mrs. Kimble I think. Anyway, this story focuses on the middle child of a family, she has Turner's Syndrome. Turners is a genetic mutation where part of or all of one of a girl's X chromosomes is missing...it leads to a person never going through puberty and if the entire chromosome is deleted, then she could be retarded too. This girl is very smart, not retarded, just part of hers is missing. But it's basically how after her diagnosis as a 12 or 13 yr old, her family life goes to shit, and it's the story of each individual member of the family and what happens. She does fall in love and it's sweet, but the rest of the family just falls apart over her "condition." A very good read...I couldn't put it down, I finished it in a matter of days.

Right Behind You is by Gail Giles and is a teen novel. I was in Barnes and Noble and saw it in the "new teen fiction" and it looked interesting. I read the back cover and opened it up and couldn't put it down. I finished it in 2 days time. It's a rather different subject. At 9 yrs old a little boy sets fire and kills another little boy over a baseball glove. He is not a psychopath, but he wanted to destroy the other little boy's glove and as a child never imagined what would happen. So he is sent away to a mental institution for criminally deranged children and when he's 13, he is released. His family's home was burned to the ground by the community after it happened, so his father has had to change his name and move to another state. So the boy changes his name and they move again and it's the conflict of this inner turmoil from the horrible guilt he feels raging against the life he's trying to lead as a regular teenager. It's a very intriguing story about a child killer who isn't a psychopath.

I just started a new book called Tethered about a woman who is a mortician....I have a stack of books by my beside I need to devour, lol. And I'm trying to find the newest Phillipa Gregory book without paying $25, lol. I'm hoping I come across at Half Price Books soon...no luck so far.

No comments: