Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: The Witch's Daughter


The Witch's Daughter
The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is the story of Elizabeth who is turned into a witch by a strange man in her village. It is the only way to save her from her mother's fate of being hanged for being a witch. Her mother was a local midwife/healer. After she becomes a witch, she becomes immortal and hides throughout history from the man, Gideon, who wants to claim her for himself.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I love fantasy and magic in stories. Who wants to read about real life -- how boring? Of course this story gets a bit predictable because we know the evil warlock, Gideon, has to follow her through time. It's just trying to figure out "who" he is at different historical times in the story that was the fun mystery.

I'm one who is usually deconstructing the mystery as I read a story as fast as possible, and I usually guess endings quit quickly. I do have to say that when Elizabeth discovered who Gideon was trying to be in the 19th century story, I was pleasantly surprised I didn't guess it ahead of time. And, how she figured out who he was left me playing word games with every person's name in the book thereafter.

I found myself wishing the story went on further through other time periods.





View all my reviews

No comments: