Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Review: The Weight of Silence


The Weight of Silence
The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I have really enjoyed Heather Gudenkauf's books. This one is a fast read. I couldn't put it down for 2 days straight. The anticipation of what happens to these two little girls was driving me to want to skip to the end, but I fought the urge.

I wish Petra's story would have been told a little more. While there were little bits and pieces in the book to give you clues to what happens to her, I just wished it had been explored more in the story. With everything else in the story being "real time," it just seems odd that you find out what happens to her after the fact.

Antonia drove me crazy. Her relationship with Louis drove me insane, too. Why dump your childhood sweetheart for a nasty drunken idiot just because he goes to better himself at college for a few years? They had this unbreakable bond since 2nd or 3rd grade and then you hate him because he is going off to college? And another thing about her was the whole relationship with Griff. For Toni to be this amazing girl with big brothers who would and could not deter her as she grew up, and then she ends up a battered wife just doesn't seem realistic to me. Who would not run from someone who threatens you on your "first date?" I just find it hard to believe her mother dying just drove her to stupidity.

I did enjoy the epilogue from Calli. I always hate when a book just ends after a huge ordeal, and you end up wondering what happened to the characters.



View all my reviews

No comments: