Sunday, July 15, 2007

I'm feeling....Wicked


I picked up Wicked by Gregory Maguire last night at Half Price Books and I can't put it down. I've seen the musical -- I loved the musical. Wait, didn't I say that in yesterday's post? I'm obsessed, well so is my daughter, she wears her "Popular" t-shirt from the musical all the time. I had to get my mom to buy a new one when she went to see it because Em stained this one with chocolate milk....but I digress.

So anyway, I was reading it in Barnes and Noble on Friday night when this guy came up and told me how wonderful the book was, and we started talking about the differences of the book and the musical. I've been meaning to read it forever, but just never got around to it. So I decided why spend $16 when I can spend $7.50 at Half Price Books, so I picked it up yesterday along with one of his other books, Mirror, Mirror - it's about Snow White and the 7 Dwarves.

I'm so tired of Chick lit crap now. I've been a bookworm my whole life, and I'd been out of the reading loop since Em's birth and when I finally felt I could get back into reading again, I wanted to start out easy and entertaining so I started with fun chick lit books, but after reading Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones (wonderful, wonderful book - go read it!) and then her autbiography, Lucky, I felt like Chick lit just didn't have the depth and meaningfulness I wanted to be reading. So I've found Wicked is right up my alley, I read until an ungodly time early this morning and then forced myself to put it down and sleep, lol.

So if anybody has some great fiction suggestions similar to The Lovely Bones and Amy Tan's Saving Fish from Drowning, please post in the comments. I love the whole "dead person telling the story" thing.

Ok, ok, I'm really leaving this time for a fun-filled hour of house cleaning. Ugh...can't you just read my enthusiasm.

No comments: