Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Baton Twirling Costume - so far...

So I had to put my littel garage sale on the back burner as in about 10 days Em is performing her twirling solo for the first time. So I've been trying to design it. Last year, I bought several different fabrics and ended up with a tropical fabric for her Tiki Tiki Room routine so I had this fabric left over. I've been trying to come up with something. This is my current design. See the beaded fabric in the middle? - $70/yd Yep, your read that correctly $70 a yd. Yikes! I've had it carefully wrapped in tissue in a plastic bag since last year.

It doesn't have any elastic in yet and the crotch is still open. But just wanted to post it because I have never seen any kind of sew and show with these types of costumes and thought it might help someone else.

I've delicately cut out some more of the beading designs from the expensive fabric and will attach them to fill out the beading fabric more. The seams will all be covered with stretch sequin trims and around the entire bottom seam at the hip will be icicle fringe all the way around. I had white/clear, but I'm going to order gold icicle fringe as these beads have a lot more gold-y colors. The nude and upper bodice are also going to be covered in hot fix rhinestones.

I basically took a skating dress pattern and the panty and bodice were already 2 pieces - I just left off the skirt, and then I cut the top and middle in half and added back a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I'm using glissinette (I think that's what it's called, its nude with a little sparkly too it) as the top nude, and it's also behind the beaded fabric because I felt it needed more coverage. But this one is a little snug on her and hard to get on and off, so I'm going to cut a new one slightly larger.

No comments: