Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mommy Kiss Card

My little boy, Mr. E, had his very first day of preschool on Tuesday. It did not go well. I don't know why I thought he could handle preschool 2 days a week all day long. Em only did half days clear up through kindergarten, but she was a different school, and I thought it would be better if they were together in the same school, and this school only offers full days of preschool.

So on Tuesday it did not go well. He wanted to be held the entire time I was there. He clung to me for dear life, so I stayed for about an hour and he started to have fun on the little playground. So I thought it was time for me to leave. My daughter was one who would cry with me there, but literally the moment I left, the tears would stop and she would skip off and play...I was hoping he would be the same. He wasn't. The teacher called me an hour later, he had cried himself to sleep. He wouldn't eat snack, he wouldn't play, nothing. So, I picked him up at 11:30 and we decided to see if he would transition slowly and I would pick him up at 11:30 before lunch for awhile. When we got home, he slept all day long. I felt terrible.


So we read some books on going to school, and we've talked about it for the past couple days. He says he misses Mommy, so I tried to think of something he could take to feel close to Mommy, and I came up with a Mommy Kisses Card. I put on some lipstick and kissed one of my famous tags (lol) and wrote it was Mr. E's Mommy Kiss card and I told him when he was at school tomorrow, if he got lonely for mommy, he just needed to pull out his kiss card from his pocket and hold it and think mommy will pick him up soon. So he's very excited about this and says he is ready to go to school now. I'm still not sure what to do. We're going to try for a couple more weeks, but if it's nonstop crying, we'll just try again next year.

1 comment:

Samantha Caffee said...

Thanks for all your help on sewmamas! What a good idea. Hope he does better at school, that must break your heart.